We are in the beginning stages of a new sermon series at Crossroads Greeley Church. This new series is called “Jacob” and we are simply taking a closer look at the life of Abraham’s grandson, Jacob. (Listen here)
God calls his people to bless others. We look at the life of Jacob in Genesis 27 where Isaac is deceived into giving the family blessing to his younger son, not the elder.
We could focus on the negative circumstances surrounding this chapter, like eve’s dropping, deception, favoritism, sibling rivalry, anger, resentment, jealousy… many things to focus on. But, I would rather focus on the 5 components of giving a blessing.
1. Give positive healthy touch (Genesis 27:21-22).
2. Speak life giving words (Genesis 27:28-29), even if your teenaged son smells like dirt.
3. Give someone value (Genesis 27:34), especially when value seems lost.
4. Speak hope into their future (Genesis 27:29)
5. Keep your commitment (Genesis 27:39), even when it’s difficult to keep.
We are called to be “multipliers” of life through blessing others, not “diminishers” of life through hurting people along the way.
Are you a diminisher, or a multiplier of people?
I recommend Liz Wiseman’s book: Multipliers as a resource for learning how to utilize everyone together to build one another up.